Concerts & Cars 2009 ~ Featured Vehicle for August 14, 2009
“Mercer County Jamboree"
Vehicle: 1950 Dodge Power Wagon
Engine: 230 cubic inch with 4 speed manual transmission
Owner: Bruce and Holly Courtney, Mercer, PA
Bruce and Holly have owned this interesting truck for nine nine years. They found it in Missouri and bought it from the original owner’s daughter. It took nine years for them to retore it to its present condition.
In 1950, the Power Wagon sold for $2,300.00 (regular pickup was $1,500.00). Dodge kept the same body design from 1941 through 1968 and it could be bought with a 3-point hitch straight from the factory. The truck also came with an 8,000 lb. factory winch.
Following World War II and the successful application of four-wheel drive to the truck line, Dodge introduced a civilian version that it called the Power Wagon. At first based almost exactly on the military-type design, variants of the standard truck line were eventually given 4WD and the same “Power Wagon” name.
The Power Wagon was sold through the 1968 model year. A number of engineering and styling improvements were made over the years but the basic package remained surprisingly constant throughout its life. Chrysler discontinued the sale of the Power Wagon in the United States after the 1968 model year because its almost 30 year old cab would not comply with new federal light-duty truck safety regulations, but they continued to be built for export through the 1978 model year.